View Single Post
Old 2012-08-28, 15:49   Link #244
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Yeah but she specifically asked for Nagai. I think she's smart enough to see why. I think anyone is smart enough to see why.
Well next time she has her own original idea, lets see what happens.

Quote:
Okada didn't even script that episode. Nor did she script the Yuina episodes, incidentally. In fact, besides episode 3, most of what she wrote was generally devoid of over the top stuff. I can't quote relentlessflame enough.
Oh c'mon now. I am fully aware of this. There are episode scripters, episode directors, episode animation directors. There are tons of people working on every episode that are typically different. What ties it all together? The staff that oversees it. It is Okada's job as series composition to oversee the writing for the entire series, with only really the director to give input to her. She is the boss and boss takes responsibility for the people under her.

Quote:
You mean just two? I didn't think the ending was great either but I didn't mind the cross dressing twist at all. And even if I did I still wouldn't overlook everything else that was great about that show.

And Nagai's coaching didn't prevent it from being worse. It was even there to begin with. Okada wasn't sure what to write until she listened to Nagai for advice.

And it's not like Nagai would've been better without her. If everyone thought Ano Natsu was written by Mari Okada then everyone would've probably bashed her for bringing in exhibitionism, sex crazed beach girls, drunk cat girl maids and an over the top alien invasion ending.
Ano Hana did many things well, but in general I felt it was overshadowed by someone trying to jam in emotional angst at every possible turn, culminating into that extremely over the top melodramatic scene at the end. Okada has a problem with communicating angst properly. Ever heard of BRS?

I'm not going to make a list of all the different okadisms throughout for you. I felt it was rather self-evident and I don't got the time to detail every single one for you at this time.

Quote:
That's no different to me. But I wouldn't turn round and say she shouldn't write those things. That just reeks of elitism. It's not like we were forced to watch it or anything.
Fans being attached to a previous standard isn't unheard of you know.

Quote:
How do you know she's trying to troll us? Is it so hard to believe that maybe, just maybe she thinks those things might be entertaining to some people? Because they ARE entertaining to some people? Just because you don't like something she does, doesn't mean she's doing it on purpose to annoy you.
Oh I'm sure she does think things like "I think this'll amuse the audience." But the types of ways she tries to elicit enjoyment out of us at times feels like pure trollery or gimmicky.

-------

Anyhow Haak, I'm sure we hold very different opinions on Okada. You seem to have more respect for writing than I do. I used to think she was pretty good, and I still think there is talent there somewhere, but her focus has definitely been off in the past year or two and the inconsistency of her original worlds speaks for itself IMO.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote