View Single Post
Old 2011-02-21, 22:57   Link #8048
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzi View Post
Just like Mikoto.

Your credibility is GONE. Here you go, take my rope.
Sorry, just had to post my view on this, even if others might have mentioned this before:

1)For the record, Mikoto was taking down small-fries that went to hit on her, or just usual, relatively harmless punks that is mainly all talk and can't back it up with power.
Touma, on the other hand, was fighting Level 0s with weapons and guns at times just to save a person that asked for help. It's not like how he get dragged into incidents such as the SISTERs or Aureolus Izzard on a weekly basis after losing his memories, but he was involved enough to know the in's and out's of street fighting. Heck, even in Vol13 he mentioned off-hand to Accelerator over LO's phone that District 7 has a back alley where people meet up to brawl.

To borrow 'Sasha-speak', Answer 1: Touma have been in more dangerous fights compared to Mikoto, not taking the things after meeting Index into account.

2)'Mikoto grew up like a normal girl': I would say that's 100% correct. Came from a well-off family (not filthy rich like others, but still fairly well off), a good childhood, and far removed from any problems she can't handle alone to begin with. That all changed after seeing the SISTERs, but before that her childhood was a good one.

And as to others:

On the topic of Mikoto being a liability or not (or has the argument moved on? laying out the current argued points of both sides in 'Sasha-speak' would be greatly appreciated ), I'll have to mention the point that the magicians Touma works with are 'professionals' - people that sees as their duty to make amatuers like Touma not get involved as very important.

IMO, Toaruverse magicians are like Nasu-verse magus, minus the amorality when it comes to involving civilians (ie, Nasu-verse magus can involve civilians all they like, as long as the existence of magic is not revealed) ; They are willing to kill or be killed if these situations arise, and people like Touma, Kaori and the Amakusa are the exception, and NOT the rule. Stiyl have even mentioned at one point it's only after Touma got involved with the Magic Side that members of Necessarius started to get along with one another.

Now, I'll bring that back to Mikoto: Mikoto are brought up as a normal girl, albeit one with esper powers and one of the top Seven of AC. She does NOT have the same resolves as some of these magicians. I won't go on about the shounen idea that 'more willpower = greater chance of defeating your opponent', but as Mikoto hesitates about killing/wounding others she'd probably be taken down by someone who's weaker, has more experience and is willing to use those experience to win. And that's just the usual magicians like Sherry, and not 'monster-class' like Acqua.

And on the point of Mikoto not helping Touma when he went after Acqua: Mikoto at the point was too overwhlemed by the discovery of her feelings towards Touma. I believe the word is 'epiphany'? She was struggling to come to terms with her own self, her conflicting views, and to accept her own feelings; that would take time. And I'd say these things take time to sort out.