View Single Post
Old 2012-01-22, 20:21   Link #49
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Makes me think of "death", for white is a funeral dress color.
The "straight" interpretation I would take from it is simply that it was "White" Hanezawa whom Hitagi was talking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I only want to say like I said before, as well as Mayoi in Bake ep 13 and Kanbaru in this one, Araragi and Hanekawa as a couple just seems more natural. There HAS to be some relevance if two completely unrelated characters say the same thing(and that post was before ep 13 mind you[nor am I a novel reader]).
The "Hanekawa + Koyomi" comments arise from two issues, I think. The first is that Hanekawa very successfully projects a "proper", "perfect girl" image. The second is that, to girls at least, she is rather transparently interested in Araragi. From the atmosphere surrounding Hanekawa in the first series, it's pretty clear that Hanekawa was trying to slowly establish a special relationship between her and Koyomi. Senjougahara swept in and stole him away, but it's not like those hooks in their relationship were removed yet. Hanekawa, for one thing, still retains an enormous place in Araragi's heart, even if not romantically, due to his debt of gratitude to her over the events of Golden Week. This remains a formidable obstacle to Hitagi's relationship with Araragi, because we know that moreso than his own romantic interests, Araragi's primary driver is self-sacrifice.

More specifically, I think that Mayoi's impressions of "Hanekawa and Araragi would make a nice couple" come from the fact that she met Hanekawa first. Mayoi is aware that there are unresolved feelings behind their relationship, which was particularly relevant during Tsubasa's story arc. Kanbaru meanwhile, just as she is aware of Nadeko's feelings (referring to her as the "final boss"), might be (I speculate) implanting the suggestion of a future with Hanekawa in Koyomi because she still herself is holding on to her feelings for Senjougahara. The reason that these suggestions raise the tension and are believable is because Tsubasa would have clearly been the "default" girl before Araragi met Hitagi.

Anyway, episode 3 was superb. Actually, just a day before episode 3 I went back to rewatch episode 2 as well and it was also much more relaxed and entertaining fare the second time around. But episode 3 pretty much completes the setup for the arc this time around, so that I think we can already discard any reservations about Nisemonogatari not going anywhere with the story.

Regarding Kaiki--although he's called a "fake" or a "conman", he's already shown some awareness or powers over the supernatural such that we can be sure that his knowledge of kaiis has some real legitimacy. In front of the Suruga house, Kaiki mentioned something about feeling "about 1/3rd of the aura"; if I recall correctly, the monkey's paw/rainy devil that was given to Kanbaru took 3 wishes to completely convert a subject into a demon. Kanbaru completed one of the wishes in elementary school; so Kaiki's statement seems to indicate that he could directly sense the degree of manifestation of the monkey's paw even from outside of the Suruga household.

This kind of interconnectivity makes me think that it might be surprisingly fruitful to marathon Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari together. I don't really recall the details of the Suruga family well--how did Kanbaru's mother die again? For that matter, in light of the appearance of Kaiki; I can't quite recall whether anything was said about how Gaen came into possession of the "monkey's paw" in the first place.

In the first episode, I immediately thought that Hanekawa's cancellation of Araragi's tutoring session could not be coincidental. With Kanbaru's comments and Senjougahara's reaction to Hanekawa ending this episode, they are setting up quite a bit of suspense for what she is currently doing. Haha, this is pretty masterful stuff. Love this series.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-01-23 at 00:29.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote