View Single Post
Old 2007-09-12, 14:36   Link #95
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
Well, Anna Coppola from Ichimashi doesn't even speak English at all, despite being Born in England. She's not an otaku, but gaijin who knows more about Japan than your average Japanese is not unusual anymore. They're on TV everyday. There are a lot of kids like Anna Tsuchiya who looked very gaijin but can't speak English to save their live. I think what makes Patty unusual is that ordinary Japanese still have problem adjusting to the gaijin ota. Most Japanese would stereotype the shiroi gaijin as being "cooler" than the Japanese, so seeing the otaku-gaijin is an unholy mixing of two opposite stereotypes that just doesn't compute. I think the respect the outsiders paid to the otaku culture has a lot of do with the rise of the otaku status in the recent years. Soon maybe things will turn around for the Japanese otaku, that the intimate knowledge of moe-types and the ability to perform ota-gei would be considered gakkoi. And everyone of us gaiin-tachi reading this forum rignt now is contributing to it.

So in my mind, Go Patty!
Funny you brought this up, because I was planning on asking it at the Japanese Culture topic in the Off-Topic section. I understand that, for the sake of the story, Kona and Patty became friends, or at least partners, quite quickly, even if Patty is a gaijin-otaku. But, in general, how are foreign otaku seen inside the amazing Japanese otaku circle? Obviously, I'd say that we are, at the very least, seen as posers and dishonorable bastards who can't appreciate the true meaning of Anime. ( Obviously, a rough and overly general statement by my part. I'm pretty sure that your average Japanese won't be bothered that much by foreigners and their anime addiction. )

But what do you mean by "cooler"? That just because we're not japanese we're allowed to express outselves in an otaku way more openly than the japanese do? In my opinion, that would be a huge misconception... I mean, Anime is mainstream in Japan. Not only anime, but light novels and manga... You can find them everywhere, including ads, and they take many, many forms and shapes and speak to a very diverse audience. From small children to the older folks, the part of the Japanese culture that hovers around anime has something for them all. Which is not the case in most places here in the west. What does your average high-schooler think when you mention anime? Pokemon, DBZ and, with a bit of luck, Yu-Gi-Oh. Because of that, there's a very high degree of stereotypical response to the ones of us that "go public".

Of course, you could probably say that we're more aware of diversity and that our responses aren't histerical... but I'd say we win in the amount of negative responses we receive for being how we are.

One of the things that Patty's presence in Lucky*Star makes me grateful to the authors is that it probably gives the idea that we're all brothers in otakudom, Japanese and foreigners alike.

Edit: I feel a bit inexperienced whenever I'm around Vexx, AVPlaya and some of the other grown-ups around. Kind of makes me wanna erase my comments and see what they say first every time

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"