Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-31, 23:46   Link #1174
Sol Falling

Very engaging episode. I thought the exploration of adapting to left-handed play and some of the advantages that might offer was incredible. A brilliant way of incorporating another technical aspect of karuta into the story, and done so skillfully/naturally.

Arata's multiple attacking style was also a revelation. If a player is fast enough, it may essentially turn multi-syllable cards into single-syllable cards. However, I am indeed somewhat confused as to the legality of it. From what I understand, touching incorrect cards on the same side as the indicated card is legal, meaning you can attack indiscriminately if you are confident that the card being read is on the targeted side. However, I definitely thought that touching cards on both your own and your opponent's side would be illegal/result in a fault, as Arata is shown doing in the gif on the last page. Is the result allowed to stand because Arata nevertheless manages to touch the correct card in his cases, or is this a mistake on the part of the mangaka or animators? Hopefully someone would be able to clarify the rules a bit here.

I didn't nearly get enough of Shinobu during the team final match, so I'm looking forward to her and Chihaya's match together next time. Hopefully it'll last two episodes. I should enjoy it very much.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote