View Single Post
Old 2008-05-25, 10:06   Link #963
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Honestly, if Rin and the children became side characters, and the title was changed to "Otona no Jikan," and centered around the adult cast in the show, it might be just as good entertainment, if not more. I could watch Houin-Aoki-Shiro all day long.
Personally, while I always initially like the Shiro-sensei character (and thought the relationship between her and Kuro was both funny and interesting as a sort of reflection or variation of the Aoki/Rin relationship), this recent situation of her starting to see Aoki in a romantic light IMO degrades both her character, and the original focus of the series which I think is a mistake. As much as I liked Houin-sensei, her value to the original story was really just as the required third leg of the original romantic triangle of the story and we don't need another "love rival" added to the mix at this point.

Perhaps the author feels the need to add in new plot threads and new relationships to fill out an ongoing story, but for myself I would have preferred a story that ended sooner, but maintained the major focus of the series on the relationship between Rin and Aoki, which is what made the books so original and interesting to begin with.

From my point of view, at the same time that that original Rin plot thread seemes to be getting closer to some sort of climax, the manga as a whole is loosing its focus.