View Single Post
Old 2011-10-08, 20:15   Link #258
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I haven't seen the show in question, but I have to say I agree in principle with Reckoner in this case. I recently made a similar comment on another site about Sentai's recent decision to license Akikan and got my share of similar criticism.

The market is a cruel institution. The only method it provides for buyers to communicate their preferences to sellers is not buying a product. It seems that anime fans would prefer a world where every show is a success, but that's neither realistic nor especially helpful when it comes to communication between buyers and sellers. Perhaps this reaction reflects the niche status of anime, and continuing fears among fans that the industry is on its last legs. (I think these fears are vastly overstated.) The fact remains that only if some shows succeed and others fail will producers learn what the audience prefers.

Now there may be a deeper argument here that producers already pander too much to the minority of Japanese viewers who routinely spend $hundreds or $thousands on anime series with large doses of moe~ and ecchi. I'm sympathetic to that argument, but in reality anime studios are in business to make a profit and not in the business of creating "art." Sometimes they find the right mix, and works of artistic value like Mononoke succeed commercially as well. It would be nice if this convergence happened more often, but that's not a realistic expectation.

If you want to see more of the types of shows you find appealing, go buy the DVDs. That's the only way you can tell the producers what you want.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote