View Single Post
Old 2013-01-07, 00:18   Link #2863
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post

II. Distinct Style
They're not all 2D. Couldn't DBZ, Naruto, One Piece or Bleach be considered Anime games? They're based off Animes!
Well, yeah but only if they were meaningful games. Sorry fans, but these games are made with Story and Marketing in mind, not proper competition.

Keeping that in mind, mostly 2d games are made by "I've never heard" companies and distributed by known ones. More over, you get all these shining gauges, good amount of fanservice and sparkling combos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
When someone calls a character or game "Anime" it's based on the character's design and moves/gameplay.
A bit of clarification here: I'm referring to the division between 2D games that the term causes not the fighting games in general. From my experiences games like BB and P4A mainly get that label due to artstyle and perceived tropes associated with the word. In the FGC, Weaboo and Anime are pretty much interchangeable and often considered a negative influence (heh the irony) despite sharing general mechanics of older 2D Fighters. It feels like a superficial sub-genre setup to further hate on these types of games.

At least in something like RPGs, sub-genres like Strategy RPGS, Action RPGs etc actually make sense since there are major mechanical differences in those games and traditional RPGs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Most of the current FGC don't give a shit about any game except Marvel and SFIV, that includes Capcom games like SFxT and Namco games like Tekken Tag 2 (yeah Tekken heads flocked to it, but that's the norm) and SC5. KOF XIII gets a lot of love though....
Yeah, calling the current western FGC a "fighting community" rather than Capcom fighters general is a little misleading now.

KoF probably gets a pass because it's a long running series from 90s with very dedicated cult fanbase. It has a prestige (rivaling SF back in it's heyday) the current 2D ones lack even if the series in general isn't very different any other 2D fighter.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote