View Single Post
Old 2011-09-27, 21:53   Link #105
Hoticehunter

Now... I may get burned at the stake for suggesting this but... the "true" ending (Nagisa living) felt like it cheapened the "first" ending (Nagisa dying) to me. Like... it was them going "Surprise! None of that really happened! It was all a dream! They all lived happily ever after with no worries about anything!" I really liked the "first" ending. It was heart wrenching sure, but up until Ushio died, I thought the story was incredibly touching.

Ushio's death seemed... extreme, like it didn't serve a storytelling purpose except to make the story unbelievably sad. Now, I played through the game first before watching the anime. I knew there was a "true" ending, but I honestly couldn't predict with any sort of certainty whether the "true" ending would be Nagisa surviving childbirth (and consequently the next too) or just Ushio surviving her sickness and not dying at 5 years old due to the mysterious sickness in her father's arms. If it was the latter, I was expecting the story to play out basically similarly to how the post-Nagisa's death story played out except that the lights would have done for Ushio what they ended up doing for Nagisa. I knew the lines from the "Call Out" scene, and I just could not predict what would happen. Some of the lines like, "This long journey... Where we shared in the emotions of this town... Is over now." It made it sound like Nagisa was dying and "moving on"

After having finished (both the game and the anime), as much as I like happy endings, it just feels like Clannad's happy ending was... trollish? It was such a strange feeling finishing the game and the anime and seeing Nagisa open her eyes. I haven't felt anything like it before.
Hoticehunter is offline   Reply With Quote