View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 01:57   Link #943
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think it's a bit unfair to say that, given how producers and studios gladly accepted foreign investment and brought to life a whole bunch of anime that were designed to be more palatable to western audiences. This is what caused the anime bubble of mid to late 2000s. I think studios keep on trying to evolve. For example, Production I.G isn't thinking only of the domestic "anime" market, they basically expanded over to Canada to work on animation projects for movies and other properties. The projects may not be the anime we know and love, but this is one way to survive, and from that other anime projects might get funded. I'd also love if Japan did more to move away from the maniac late-night crowd, but it's not like they're not trying. It's just hard.
Yeah that's why I said it wouldn't make sense to focus on us. But what about the more mainstream Japanese audience?

My bigger overall point is that if anime continues to be dependent on a small group of people paying for BD's that cost like $500, they're never going to get anywhere. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The small group is willing to pay outrageous prices that would never fly with a mass market. A typical anime series is going to cost people more money then the Playstation 4 will @ launch later this year... Collecting Nichijou would cost you more compared to buying a massively overpriced Ps3 + a few games at launch.

You could say it's high risk high reward but when a few companies get a lot or "rewards" which wipe out the failures while making massive bank... why would they change this formula up?
If they are content with the status quo then there is no reason. I'm just saying I doubt they can ever accomplish much more than the status quo if they leave it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And why do you have to try and get these people into anime with shows that are coming out lately? If not a single episode of anime came out after today I doubt I would ever have the time to watch everything I was interested in catching up on or checking out. What's the matter with introducing them to stuff like Eva, Bebop and the Memories OVAs of Kenshin?
It's just me reflecting on my own personal experience in trying to introduce people to anime. There's nothing wrong with using older anime, that's what I end up having to do... But it just reflects to me how anime has become more "insular" from my POV, which was my point. It's just anecdotal of course, so it doesn't prove anything.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote