View Single Post
Old 2007-12-13, 01:09   Link #110
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fweakin View Post
I, like a few others don't see what the big hoo-ha is about this episode. What exactly made it so different from the other episodes? This show is, and has always been a soap-opera of an anime since day 1. So it's fine to have a crazy old women killing various things, a mysterious house fire, amnesia, a mental breakdown contained within a post box, and evil stepmother, and abusive father, failed attempted suicide (we all know its coming) and potential twincest, but Asami having feelings for Shuri and doing some dodgy things as a result is unpalatable?

I really don't understand people sometimes.
I don't think anyone's going to argue against the fact that this is a soap-opera. But some of the plot points you've mentioned have simply been developed better than others. It's how a plot point is developed that separates the absurd from the believable. I wouldn't say any of the ones you've listed have been done astoundingly well, though, but none have pushed suspension of disbelief like this one did.

I disagree with you about it being a soap-opera from day one, though. I thought it started out as a very generic romance series, and I'd even go so far as to say it had a comedic bent. The change in tone from that to this was gradual, and took place over the course of about two episodes, from ep 7 to 8. The hints of something darker were just that, hints, for the first six or so eps, but now they clearly dominate.