View Single Post
Old 2012-08-12, 16:03   Link #15
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Before I begin, let me just say that I really didn't like this episode. So if you don't want to read a critical review, it might be a good idea to stop reading now.

I didn't mind the softening that Yui received last episode, but this episode's depiction of her was downright ridiculous, imo. The way they portrayed her character in this episode may well make it impossible for me to take her seriously ever again.

And that final scene... good grief. That's one of the worst anime scenes I've seen in a long time. Am I to seriously believe that this sort of utterly shameless silliness is going on within a military operating in a world severely threatened by a massive alien invasion?

For all the talk of racism/nationalism in this anime, it pales in comparison to the obnoxious male chauvinism of the last scene of this episode, imo.

About the only thing I liked in this episode was Yuuya's character. He's about the only character in this show that consistently acts like a self-respecting professional, let alone a soldier. He's a good character - It's a shame he's been saddled with goofball allies and over-the-top tsunderes.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Yeah, this is what I was getting at with Yui (and why I gave the ep. a 7 on the poll), only you say it a lot better. Even if Yui's just a kid, Yuuya is both an adult and an American; he shouldn't be acting like a Generic Japanese High School Student.
He's not acting like that. Yuuya was clearly exasperated with all the nonsense that went on in this episode, as almost any self-respecting adult soldier would be if in his shoes. He continually makes it clear that he just wants Cryska and Yui to shoot straight with him. Which, you know, is what soldiers would naturally expect their freakin' military superiors and allies to do.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-08-12 at 16:22. Reason: Adding in reply to Dezo.