Thread: HD wars redux
View Single Post
Old 2008-01-10, 03:45   Link #33
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Direct d/l is the way but it's not quite here. Maybe in North America it's feasible but bear in mind the rest of the world does not have such access to high speed broadband. Sp you'd lose a fair amount of customers by going to direct d/l not to mention drm issues. On most forums I visit the console wars are indicative of the HD wars.

But you also have to keep in mind BR is Sony tech. They have to negotiate with Sony, I don't see why Sony in true corporate fashion wouldn't use this opportunity to kill the 360 by either a) not selling the tech or b) using the additional funds from the licensing agreement to drop the price of the PS3 to peanuts level and flooding the market. (PS3 price goes down and 360 goes up due to the additional cost of licensing the tech). A monopoly is never good but I just don't see why Sony would pass up the opportunity to establish market dominance ala Nintendo in the 80's.
America's infrastructure is far far away from being able to support HD quality direct downloads. Perhaps countries such as Japan or South Korea are ready, but not America.

People bought a Wii or 360 knowing perfectly well that they would not have next gen multi-media capabilities without additional add-ons.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote