View Single Post
Old 2010-03-12, 18:52   Link #372
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
On another note, here is the result of the light novel ranking by このライトノベルがすごい published a while ago. The overall rank is largely influenced by public opinion polls, while the number at the right shows the professional review committee's scores to the works.

10位 カルマ 4.80
I finished Soukyuu no Karuma v01 today. It's an action comedy about a 17-year-old flying super knight who loves her niece above all else, and the first volume is basically one long line of obstacles she has to overcome in order to attend her niece's "parents' day" at school (as her guardian). These obstacles come in the shapes of 1) flying monster invasion, 2) summoned to another world to defeat a demon king, 3) ancient android, 4) eternal maze of the gods, 5) final flying monster boss fight. They all take up a chapter in length and are usually amusing enough to bring out a chuckle. The writing's decent, nothing particular to complain about.

Still, overall it just comes across as meaningless. It's ridiculous to demand "value" from random entertainment, I guess, but I'd like to pretend that my intellect is being tickled with original stuff when I read a book, and Karuma has nothing new to bring to the party, really. It's just bland and reasonably predictable, where most of the jokes are of the "nice as concept, dull in execution" variety that you don't necessarily need to read 30 pages about. The laughs are too scarce in relation to the setup required, compared to something like BakaTest where you have similar quality jokes every third line instead. The action sequences are boring, mostly because Karuma herself is clearly invincible, and there's never anything at stake, which keeps tension levels low.

All in all, it's not worth the time and effort to read.