View Single Post
Old 2010-07-02, 02:12   Link #1017
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
The problem is, all this technical "mumbo-jumbo" just goes over my head being quite new to this, hence using the good ol' ancient art of avi encoding. The stuff about using Mkvs or using certain compression types is alien to me and even if I know what they meant, I have no knowledge of how to apply the methods. Any good tutorials on the suggestions? My google skills are extremely rusty
mkvmerge GUI is literally just dragging and dropping files and pressing one (1) button, if you can't figure it out yourself you probably shouldn't be using a computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzy View Post
Hi! First post!

I hope I'm putting this question in the right place! I'm a noob to fansubbing and I'm having some problems with subtitle timings. I'm trying to add subs to a Japanese DVD. I've ripped the DVD to my hard drive, and made an AVI of it. From there, I tried timing my subs to the AVI in a program called subtitle workshop, and everything looked good. When I added the subs to the DVD, though, the subs were messed up - They started off okay, but drifted out of sync as the film went on. Another thing I noticed was that the AVI & the DVD were not the same runtime - they were 4 seconds different. I can't seem to create an AVI that's the same runtime as the DVD.

I had been using subtitle workshop, but switched over to Aegisub after reading some posts on the forums. Any raw audio that I rip, though, is slightly longer than the DVD... sigh.

Thanks for the help!
making ntsc dvd subtitles that sync with the video is nontrivial and usually requires fucking with the pulldown flags (google pulldown.exe) and doing odd things in maestrosbt
it is generally not worth the effort, especially not since dvd is a dead technology that you shouldn't be using
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote