View Single Post
Old 2013-02-01, 01:25   Link #38
potchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
I'm happy to see so many of Sena's flags in the anime, but I can't shake the feeling that the events are portrayed in such a way in order to capitalise on Sena's popularity, as opposed to a faithful adaptation of the novels.
I wonder if this is a cultural thing - western narrative focuses on explicit statements - such is the evolution of writing initially as a tool to record historical events rather than entertainment, therefore structure and clearness rules supreme. Whereas, estern literature encourages inferences, and for reader's to draw their own conclusions.

I think Season 2 is fairly faithful, much more so than S1. But just like the novel, blink and you'll miss Yozora reveals. Simple - don't expect to see her formally declare things (that's Sena). Instead, these are typically via other people's observations (mostly Kodaka, okay I admit it's hard to include too much monologue in anime form compared as the narrator). Sena tends to produce events (or flags) but Yozora produces more commentary from Kodaka (like he would notice the curl of a smile, or a frown, hard to animate I suppose), sometimes seemingly out of nowhere.