View Single Post
Old 2007-05-22, 16:47   Link #96
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Half of my problem I have with Aya in Lucky Star is that she makes too much unnecessary little noises in her delivery, which sort of goes against Konata's image of a lazy and slow delivery style of speech. The other half is her (bad) habit of putting too much emphasis in the last syllable of the sentence. One episode of when Kagami and Tsukasa imagining Konata mumbling at her part-time work is what Konata's imagine should be like - someone who doesn't even want to waste energy in talking in something she has no interest in, so both habit of Aya's delivery is not really suited to Konata's character IMO, and I think Aya herself knows it too and is having a hard time matching her skills to the character, hence her own impression on her delivery which is not as smooth as it could have been....
Fascinating points. I was liking those extra little sounds as feeling like a sloppy otaku. I have no real previous image of Konata to go against, but I can see your point, which is probably what the director was getting at, too, when he told her to go slower. I'll listen for the emphasis on the last syllable.

My own opinion is that Aaya is not a "pro" in the way of Horie Yui, say, who is very flexible and in control of everything she does, but whom I sometimes find too professional, too smooth, and a bit -- not mechanical, but something like that. Not that I don't enjoy her work. Aaya is rough in some ways, and can repeat herself (like with that final emphasis, or with the way Layla's voice drops), but is now doing especially interesting things. Including Konata, which is a style of voice I can't remember hearing before. And especially Layla, for me.

I always have to factor in the fact that I have never lived in Japan to soak up the subtleties of how people really talk and to learn Japanese better. I tend to like the extremes. I'm always disappointed to hear Yahagi Sayuri trying to sound more normal and not giving us her own extravagant voice, the one she used in Karin and Kyoushirou. And I love Sasaki Nozomi's voice. My favorite seiyuu, however, would come from among Kuwashima Houko, Paku Romi, Tanaka Rie, Kawasumi Ayako and Orikasa Fumiko, with Koshimizu Ami, Yahagi Sayuri and Aaya coming up fast. In homage to your avatar, I'll add that I'm enjoying Nana's work in Darker than Black.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.