View Single Post
Old 2007-09-10, 19:22   Link #257
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The biggest thing to keep in mind is the humidity.
Japanese summer climate isn't that hot, especially if you come from places like Texas and Florida... it's the insane humidity that will get to you. It feels a lot hotter than what the temparature reading says.

And you will be cramped into a train full of people, with not even an inch between you and hundreds of others. Although AC is on full blast, it's still very unpleasant when the humidity is off the scales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
Although I probably won't have a lot of trouble with food anyway. Tell me where I can buy some Melonbread and I'll be set for an entire month :P Besides, considerign my mom is a desperate, overly protective woman, she would never forgive me if I ate something in a shady place... so for that I can probably use a credit card and treat me to some good food .

My thoughts exactly. I mean, I already eat at McDonalds a couple of times a month, why the hell would I travel to the other side of the world to do the same? I'd rather have Melonpan all along. <- Highly influenced by anime, isn't he?
If you just want melonpan, you don't even need to leave the US, actually.
Melonpan is exactly the same as the Mexican sweet bread conchas.
If you're in anywhere in the southern part of United States, you can find them in most bakery in the mexican bread section.
They look the same, same shape, same taste, everything.
Many Japanese who learn about conchas suspect Mexico is where Japanese melonpan actually originate from.
I didn't know about it until I bought a melonpan for my mexican friend visiting Japan, and he told me "oh, this is conchas".
Later day, I visited stores in Texas to buy them myself... and sure enough, it was exactly melonpan.

And yes, I would like to feed Shana-chan a conchas and see her reaction.