View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 06:07   Link #19
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Why is NisiOisin even being mentioned in this thread? This thread is clearly talking about anime writers not light novel writers since we're in General Anime not Manga and Light novels. if you want to shit on Nisio go make a thread in that forum. Oh wait he wrote the script for Medaka Box Episode 12, clearly justifies his place in this thread. And it's not like his best received novels haven't even been turned into anime yet or nothing...
I'm assuming you're talking about Zaregoto. Not sure if that's ever going to get adapted at this point...

As for Mari Okada, yeh, she's probably overrated but I'll call her more inconsistent than anything. Every director, screenwriter or animator has a stinker or two in their resume, but Okada whether it be the fact she's not good at every genre despite what the industry thinks of her or the fact she's taking up way too much work compared to other writers, seems to be have more bombs in terms of pure volume than any other recent writer. I mean she scripted for series such as True Tears, Hanasaku Iroha and Ano Hana which or more less solid series, but at the same time wrote for Fractal, Black Rock Shooter and Aquarion EVOL which were atrocities. I don't even think it's a matter of her tendency to "emasculate" male characters, at this point I think she's not a good writer when it comes to genres outside of Drama set in real world settings.

I also concur with the people that query about Hiroyuki Yoshino being overrated. If anything, he gets what he deserves (i.e. lots of criticism) since he consistently writes bad anime-original material. Mai-Hime, Otome, Guilty Crown and co-wrote Fractal and Code Geass R2. Need I say more? Also not sure how much I should credit Macross Frontier to this guy considering the Macross franchise has always been Shoji Kawamori's baby and he also directed it.

As for underrated writers, no idea other than the fact I don't think Kuroda is underrated. He already got the Animation Kobe Award in 2003 (Okada got hers in 2011 and is only the second writer to do so) so he's already known. A big award like that means his achievements have already been recognised. Plus the only thing recent thing I note is that he wrote was Ano Natsu de Matteru, which was good but not fantastic imo.

I only referenced anime originals for the writers by the way, since adaptations should be credited more towards the original source creator or else it'll completely debunk what I said about Okada and Yoshino. Plus, I think it's the directors that are more important in this regard when it comes to adaptations.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote