View Single Post
Old 2010-03-08, 10:44   Link #93
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Huh? How is holding a constant temperature even a defensive ability? She can keep herself warm in a snowstorm wearing summer clothes as long as she wants; it's not going to defend her against anything except the cold.

And again, we can speculate until Judgement Day, but as far as the show is concerned she can only affect things by touch. Not that it would make any difference; she still can't use it as an offensive or defensive ability. At best, she can do support (and rather limited at her current level) or, as I pointed out, rescue.
Any 'stasis' power can potentially (i.e. not at Uiharu's level) qualify as a 'defensive ability' under the right circumstances. For instance, much of the damage caused by a lightning strike is heat damage. If you can force your body to maintain a constant temperature, that means you can force it to stop absorbing thermal energy. This would make you immune to heat damage, and thus immune to much of the damage caused by a lightning strike. Similarly, combustion works because the reaction produces its own heat, and thus maintains the temperature necessary for the reaction to continue. Though power-based combustion like pyrokinesis might be an exception, someone able to force their body to maintain a constant temperature would essentially be fireproof. There are complications, of course, as cellular respiration is a combustion reaction so the human body on a microscopic level is never at a constant temperature, but i'm pretty sure the author would just hand-wave that off.

Anyhow, as someone pointed out earlier, pretty much all of this has already been brought up in Uiharu's character thread.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote