View Single Post
Old 2008-07-02, 09:11   Link #2179
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Understandable, but don’t take it too far and try to apply totally real world limits as it won’t work in the setting. Acceptable force is determined by the suspects actions if the suspect can use higher level magic and is doing so then responding in turn is acceptable even if property damage is possible, nigh likely, to result. This is most true if the target is already wanted for violent offenses for example if someone shot up there work place then jumped in there car and fled as the cops arrived the police WILL chase them to the ends of the earth even if they wreck a half dozen civilian cars or buildings in the process and very few people are going to complain.

High speed purists in general are a fair model of this kind of thing there a balance to be found some areas are like the Wild West. They’ll chase anyone and hang out windows blowing out tires with shotguns and such while others while others aren’t allowed to chase anyone. Neither is ideal the former is dangerous and can turn minor offenses into huge messes, but the later is unworkable I’ve heard of areas that were so strict that police weren’t allowed to even follow a speeder if the failed to yield when the lights came on, so basically you could dodge any ticket by just going faster. Swat can have similar issues were it can be tricky to decide when to talk or keep talking and when to start shooting.

That said the biggest thing though is that if a suspect is actively threatening the locals or the officers lives they WILL fight back with equal force as no agency can reasonably ask its members to be martyrs. When that threshold is reached though is often at the officer involved discretion. Still don’t fall into some absurd trap were bad guys are shooting at the heroes and they won’t fight back because they don’t want to damage a storefront or they take a hostage and they just let them go without a struggle or something. (This is the WORST possible thing to do by the way.)
It's probably not likely to come to that, in any case.

The guidelines I noted down for the characters to follow are:

- Never begin the fight. Violence is always the last resort.

- Minimum necessary force, always.

- "He started it" is not a valid excuse to let loose.

- You are not expected to martyr yourself, and self-defence is a valid reason. (Note: Rancer has a lot of trouble following this one. I'm writing it as a completely boneheaded move on his part.)

- You're free to use your best judgement and discretion, but be prepared to back it up in future inquiries.

- If you injure a civilian, you're the one who has to explain why. Make sure that explanation is very, very good.

- Protect the innocent, keep the peace, serve the public trust, and uphold the law, in that order.

Basically I'm trying to write a story where a minimum of flashy moves is considered commendable, and yet have it fit in the Nanoha-verse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Ya know what, I'm glad I napped to prepare for working until midnight instead of following this discussion.

The above is also why when it relates to canon information I would rather the Canon Info section of OCNano be restricted to mods and admins only: the honor system is all fine and well for keeping out normal malicious edits (...mostly...) but it cannot protect against someone who has confused the line between his fanon interpretations and canon information.

Or to put it simply: Honor system cannot stop khrack.
The reason I made it an honour system is because it makes very little difference at this stage whether it's open to all, or if only mods/admins can edit.

In essence, moderator-ship does not magically confer canon knowledge. I mean, I'm an admin, and I would place myself at the far lower end of the canon knowledge scale.

Currently the mods (Kha, Tempest, and TK) are mods because they've volunteered to do the heavy grunt work of making the site reasonably intuitive to navigate. That's pretty much my only criteria for promotion; the post of co-admin is still open to anyone who wants to try prettifying the site using CSS.

And there's no real filter I can use that will please everyone, or even get anywhere close to a consensus. The only one I can think of is asking "okay, who's willing to fill out the canon bits, and promise not to put in non-canon info?" which I suspect will net the majority of the current members. That's not much different from the current honour system.

As always, suggestions for improvements are welcome.

-

When the word "nanobots" is mentioned, does anyone else come up with a mental image of a horde of tiny Nanoha robots?

Or is it just me?
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote