Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-25, 08:49   Link #1126
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a perfect example of why translators can impact the interpretation of a work significantly. "Teki", the word Taichi used, can be translated as "enemy" (which Crunchyroll did), "rival", or "opponent" - all are correct in this context, and in common usage. The scene plays very, very differently depending on which translation you use.
Thanks for this, that makes me feel better about the scene.

But besides in the last episode Taichi said the thought of Arata also gives him strength (or something a long those lines).

I do feel Taichi has mixed feelings about Arata. I think he does care about him. But I also understand why he doesn't want him in Tokyo.

Still Arata coming to Tokyo would really be the best thing for Taichi. Taichi can't move forward with Chihaya or Karuta until he truly faces Arata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
To Arata, Taichi's just some dude who also plays Karuta.
But isn't that also because Arata is somewhat underestimating Taichi.

Arata sees Taichi as a friend, but he doesn't even think of him as a rival.

Think of the difference how Chihaya views Shinobu to how Arata views Taichi.

I believe Arata's friendship for Taichi is genuine but I think he doesn't have the conflicted views about Taichi because he doesn't really see Taichi's strength yet. I think that has to change and this will be important to both Taichi and Arata's growth.

edit: Somehow mixed up Sumire and Shinobu's names. Oops!

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-05-25 at 11:42.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote