View Single Post
Old 2009-09-17, 15:28   Link #24
WuWei

I actually think that Lawrence has finally beaten Horo on the wisdom and maturity scale in this episode.

Horo's concerns are very reflective of a Japanese aesthetic inherited from Buddhism. "The World is Passing, All Things Fade, etc." That's why Horo has been asking "Why don't you act the way you used to? How come i don't startle you or make you anxious anymore?"

Its like Horo just wants to experience the very beginning of a relationship, when people acts like stupid crazy kids in love, or some such. For the more scientifically inclined, she wants her Dopamine high. She seems to think that stagnation/decline are the only things in store for the relationship. Maybe things will get old, maybe it won't be as fun, maybe they'll end up fighting and :gasp: hating each other.

Better to have an idealized portrait of the fun times than deal with the unknown.

Lawrence, IMHO, sees a different outcome thanks to his talk with the Nun. Like Rigolo, it is the humble patient daily pursuit of a dream that makes Lawrence tick.

Rigolo's garden is green all year (a defiance of the decline of all things is it not?), not by happenstance or luck or a blessing. He did that through sheer effort in his pursuit of happiness.

I think Lawrence finally caught onto this, let's hope Horo does the same.