Thread: Licensed BLACK ROCK SHOOTER TV series
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-09, 20:20   Link #943
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No, this makes no sense. If Dead Master died (and Yomi forgot about Mato) Mato would have gone more crazy anyway (even if Yuu didn't send her to the other world) and BRS would have become more powerful and violent.
I disagree here. The degree of mental stability displayed by Mato vs. i.e. Yomi and Kagari are on completely different levels. Beyond that, Yomi only got so bad because Saya was actively trying to aggravate her insecurities--precisely what she wouldn't do to Mato, because she has no reason to want BRS to become stronger.

Mato would have been troubled by the disappearance of Yomi's memories, obviously, but not to anywhere near the levels required for IBRS's appearance. In fact, Saya would've probably even begun acting like a proper counsellor to try to reduce/control Mato's pain in order to prevent that possibility.

The thing which screwed Saya's plan up here was STR (real-world Yuu). Yuu intentionally wanted to awaken IBRS. If we take her words from the previous episode for truth, she thinks that the existence of the otherworld as a way for girls to escape from their pain is wrong and perhaps wants to get rid of it (and Mato agrees with her, although in a way STR was using her). STR's goal might be in opposition to Saya in that she wants to return the real Yuu (trapped in STR's otherworld body) into reality, whereas Saya wants to fulfill her promise to Yuu and allow her to stay there forever, protecting her as BGS. Their common point is that both of them care for Yuu and wish for her happiness.

The plot as it stands seems pretty clear and coherent to me, so I will just address the criticisms. The single point people have been raising complaining about BRS's "inconsistency" is that they didn't expect Saya to have any "good" motivations. Like, at all. Apparently they thought Saya was supposed to be a black and white, purely megalomaniacal, evil villain whose sole motivation was that she got off on little girls' suffering. And for this reason they were unable to get into Yuu and Saya's backstory.

If this is the sole point they can muster, I do have to say that the criticisms are pretty ridiculous. Saya has not suddenly become "the good guy". She is still purposely increasing and aggravating the suffering of middle school girls in order to protect someone she made an old promise to. This revelation has done nothing except to give Saya her own motivations. Even if Saya was largely portrayed as malicious previously, this development was hardly unexpected and is hardly any grounds for stating that the writing of the series as a whole is terrible.

Anyway, as a general note, I would advise people not to get too excited about ideas like "BRS is the villain" or "Saya and STR are the main characters". If this anime is true to the "core" of the BRS franchise, then the ultimate focus will still be on yuri between BRS and Dead Master (i.e. Mato and Yomi). Yuu and Saya are merely the justification for the plot; Mato, as the uninvolved party dragged into this mess, and as the main character, will have her emotional resolution completed around her relationship with Yomi and the "little bird" story.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote