View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 22:32   Link #45
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanty
If we're talking about absolutely generic sorts of styles, then they all suck, no matter which era they are from.
no you're wrong, anime artwork rules and has always ruled, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
And if the term moe existed back then, Galaxy Fraulein Yuna had to be my first moe.
The old myth goes that the term 'moe' came from Sailor Moon S's Hotaru Tomoe, so it's indeed been around since the fairly early '90s if that's the case, but that's probably not true anyway. I've always wondered if Japan liked Gizmo from Gremlins, the little guy's as moe as it gets (And in 1984, too)...

Personally, I enjoy anime artwork of every era; even some of the very early anime like the 1960s Sally the Witch look attractive to me. I think that 1980s artwork gets the job done perfectly well (Not to mention being very charming and nostalgic - as a kid born in the late '80s, I of course have a very soft spot for things of that era), but I don't think it's better than modern anime. Even if I was one of those grumpy 'Moe is the cancer killing the anime industry, it's just lolishit and bishounens blah blah fucking blah, they just don't make anime like they did back in MY day... get on my knee, sonny, and let me tell you about the first time I watched Cowboy Bebop, now THAT'S a real anime...' people, I still doubt very old anime would be my preference because the '90s were damn gorgeous.

Spoiler for space:

I don't tend to think of characters as looking younger than their actual age, or men looking too effeminate, either. The Lucky Star characters look like teenagers to me, just with a cute art style (Wheras a lot of people say they look like elementary schoolers), and I've been hearing 'All anime guys look like girls!' claims since Final Fantasy 7 even though the vast majority of characters have always very plainly looked male to me.

Quote:
But, if you ask which era's characters you like, and limit the discussion to characters in top 25% according to screen time or dialog lines, I would say 1980s in a heartbeat, as 1980s characters were much more complicated and enjoyed much more character growth compared to today. In almost every non-visual aspects, 80s characters were better compared to today's characters. This may be due to the fact that they had to sell those characters without all the visual aids we have now.
I won't agree or disagree with the sentiments (There's certainly truth to what you say, though there still are and probably always will be plenty of good anime characters), though if this is a general trend, I think the fact that the vast majority of anime nowadays is 12-13 episodes as opposed to the 80s' much lengthier series certainly doesn't help.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote