View Single Post
Old 2011-11-30, 16:14   Link #143
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
You're onto something,I hadn't thought about that.
Probably why we'll never see a japanese live action of a certain seinen manga set in Italy that we're both fan of
But with that being said, that didn't seem to impact the fact Nodame, Bloody Monday, etc still got adapted into drama. Japan's got enough mix-blooded celebrities to make it happen it they were set on it.

I still think it was more of timing than anything. the 90s anime/manga boom caused more series to get adapted in early 2000s and when the bubble burst due to under-performance (as relentlessflame somewhat mentioned) and coupled with the fact that drama/movie adaption seems to gather better response and even increased the sale of its source and it was a no-brainer.

Heck many manga-adapted drama nowadays will also promote original work and even giving them out as drawing prizes.

All this I think force anime studio to find new source to fill time slots and leads to LN and 4-koma seinen series as the next logical source and they strike gold with those adaptions been appealing to otaku crowd in addition to their original target demography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I agree with this,I'd even say Monster being turned into an anime was a lucky anomaly,his other works like 20th century boys got a live action movie trilogy adaptation and "happy!" had a TV drama adaptation.
As for his recent work like "pluto",it's also getting a live action movie adaption I think.

Just to give a few other exemples Ikigami got a live action movie
Liar Game has got 2 TV drama seasons and 2 movies (2nd one comes out next year)
Soil got a a TV drama
drops of god got a tv drama
And I'll finsh with something more oldschool (but I could go on):
Oldboy got a live action korean movie adaptation.

And really I feel like I could do the same thing with Shojo/Josai,to me those tend to get live action adaptions rather than animes as well.
BTW, Lair Game was awesome, Toda was incredibly cute in that one.

Which reminds me, that brings up another point. If those moe/fan service series are supposedly aim at otaku crowd only, why would the sale of original LN/manga increase? Afterall they are suppose to aimed as same target right? The fact is that these moe/fan service series had different target originally but was adapted in hope to catching otaku crowd and most of them were successful in doing that which actually brought otaku market into LN/4-koma market.