View Single Post
Old 2009-09-19, 04:46   Link #247
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaawa-chan View Post
^ Each Sharingan/MS may have some sort of unique ability, too- though that's pure speculation on my part- because of Kakashi's T/S stuff and Sasuke's Amaterasu spacial re-composition and such...

In one of his most recent interviews, he said that Gaara was his favorite- or one of; I can't quite recall- and before that, it was Shikamaru.

Naruto's chapter 464 was pleasant; the art was good for the most part, especially the panels with Gaara and Sasuke. There was an error in one panel where the Raikage was drawn missing the wrong arm. XD

As a Gaara fan, there are multiple things to take note of in this chapter.

1) Gaara's sand can block Amaterasu, which is quite possibly the most dangerous katon. Whether or not it damages his sand remains to be seen, but if it hasn't, then Gaara has fiery sand to use for seven days.

2) Gaara's control over the sand has not been affected at all by Shukaku's extraction, it seems, though I am curious about whether or not the auto-defense is still in place, as this was not made clear. Tbh, I'm surprised that Gaara did not use that 'Rendan: Suna Shigure' technique or some variation of it against Deidara... probably because Deidara would have been in deep shit if he had. O_o

3) Gaara demonstrated yet again his verbal eloquence and diplomatic skills. Despite being a 'brat,' he shows that he is by far the most competent leader we've seen.

4) Gaara's relationship with his siblings seems a bit odd. I believe that what they said hurt him. The only problem I have ever had with their characters was their initial abandonment of Gaara when they were children, and I excused it because they were just that: children. But this sort of behavior seems insensitive that it makes me wonder if they learned anything at all from their past experiences. Their willingness to give up and even try to persuade Gaara to stop trying is counterproductive at best and dangerous at worst. That said, it is obvious that they care for and are worried about him. I find it interesting that he took their advice so passively. Perhaps he was unwilling to disagree with them in that situation, but it seems more like he doesn't want to be confrontational with them.
I'm also surprised that they would say something to the effect of, 'if Naruto couldn't persuade him, you sure as Hell can't.' It is foolish and more than a little insulting to Gaara, because if Sasuke were to listen to ANYONE, it would be Gaara. Gaara isn't his rival or a family member; Sasuke has nothing against him, no reason to antagonize him, and some amount of respect for him. They empathize with one another, perhaps more than Sasuke ever did with Naruto. Which brings me to...

5) Gaara's dynamic with Sasuke. I've told people many times before that more than anything else, I wanted some form of verbal confrontation between Sasuke and Gaara that tied in with their previous conversations. Is that a 'Wish granted!' I hear from Japan?
I only lament that Temari and Kankuro cut it short. The resulting conversation could have made for one of the greatest dialogue pieces in the series. It was damn good as it was.
I won't bore you with some analysis on why Gaara teared up as it's already been done to death by many others. I can only add that it was a long time coming. Oh, and that fanfic writers who like Gaara are having a ball now that crying Gaara is no longer as OoC as some thought. *Throws confetti.*

My only real complaints with the chapter were:

1) Sasuke was a prick and got a powerup... again. He sneered, bragged, and sneered some more. Someone kick this loser's ass. DX
2) Temari and Kankuro interrupted the conversation between Sasuke and Gaara.
3) No concrete confirmation on whether or not the auto-defense remains and whether or not Amaterasu is damaging Gaara's sand.
4) I'm really starting to dislike the Tsuchikage. He needs to wipe that fucking smirk off his face.

Good chapter and I really hope that we get to see the Sand Siblings- or at least one of them- kick ass. Go, go, go!
First of all...i didn't like Gimly at first either but don't hate the little man for smiling! (actually i don't like him either ) As for Gaara's sand being able to defend against Ameterasu i tought of a couple things... but the most realistic thing is that Sand if used properly can shut out air...oxygen. Which is a basic for a flame. Without it there is nothing to burn. And the other was the idea that Gaara's sand involves both wind and earth element.

As for point 4. It's probably because Gaara is the Kazekage. Therefore as Temari said he cannot let his emotions run wild. If the Kazekage fails then what of the other sand shinobi? He as kage is an example to others. The commander, the leader on the battlefield and in their villages.