View Single Post
Old 2009-03-30, 10:56   Link #155
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Erhm...good question.

Thing is, it is a widespread belief (I think a MS official sort of let it slip at one of those recent tech conventions - maybe I should take a look back at zdnet or one of those torrent sites to retrieve the reference, but I can't recall where exactly did I fish that tidbit) that the Release Candidate will show the tip of its nose somewhere around May, something like that, but the final product will appear later either in late 2009 or the first quarter/half of 2010. Build 7057 was already considered pre-RC, although the naming convention is left to heavy discussion and overall judgment about W7's current state of commercial readiness. We're at 7068 now...and rising.

With the impressive amount of positive feedback the beta's been getting (aside from a few black marks such as the UAC-disabling VB script embarrassment), Microsoft has been pushing the release date forwards, which leads some users to fear for the final build's quality should the folks at Redmond getting overconfident and start slipping up. Hopefully, MS will take some time to finetune W7, as betas chiefly put their focus on stability, whereas between the RC and the final build, they start working on improving performances.

And that's where the last unknown/debate lies: will they take the safe road and take their time polishing their work (which, up to now has been admirable) or will they give in to temptation and the combined voices of the Vista-hating W7-lovers and release Windows 7 ASAP?