View Single Post
Old 2013-04-22, 03:38   Link #1259
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
There's more to the "naruto shounen male leads" than that , he somewhat shares that aspect with them (and still, a guy like Naruto is a really bigger troublemaker than Eren, at least Eren doesn't vandalize town property) and he doesn't seem to lack talent (Naruto originally failed to graduate ninja academy or take Rin from Ao no exorcist who really has trouble with his studies)

Not that AoT doesn't like to play with those tropes,this episode was heading down a pretty conventional road with the hero having big ambitions but also lacking talent (he keeps falling down) and he'd have to work extra hard to be on the levels of the others, except he didn't lack talent,it was faulty equipment, that's a huge difference to me.
As I said, Eren scores points for effort and for being cool at times (such as his refusal to back down at a time when everyone else was quivering in fear). But at most other times, he's a blowhard who is painfully unaware of the cost of what he wishes for. He's not very likeable, either, because of the way he treats Mikasa (but that's something I can well understand; to him, she's an annoying know-it-all who contradicts him or shows him up at every turn).

He's no doubt different from Naruto and I most certainly do not feel that every shounen hero is exactly the same. But Eren definitely descends from the broad template used for most protagonists in this genre.

He'll probably change as the story progresses. At least, I'd hope so. That should be the set-up, in any case: to present a flawed character who becomes stronger as the plot develops. If Eren were perfect to be begin with, there would be little room for progression, no?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote