View Single Post
Old 2006-12-30, 20:01   Link #78
DarrenW

I thought this was another great episode following on the ball. A good combination of suspense, comedy, drama and even (unexpectedly) action.

A lot of people have complained about the animation...but could someone actually explain what's wrong with it? As far as I can tell, it looks awesome, especially the action scenes. What quality was sacrificed?

It's incredible how stuff they can pack into a single episode without it feeling rushed or lacking.
My only complaint with this episode is the Ayu scene. While it's a great idea for her to meet Mai, I thought her being at the freaky school at night felt forced, particularly because it seems like a cruel thing for Yuuichi to do. I mean, he actually tells here that there are demons there, knowing she's terrified of them, but this time he's not even joking. In fact, as far as Yuuichi knows, Ayu could have gotten caught up in the inevitable fight that came later. Or she could have been attacked by the demon (or even a regular mugger) on her way back home alone at night. Because of that, having Yuuichi drag Ayu to a haunted school, and having Ayu voluntarily go, felt really forced.

I'm speaking as someone who's never played the game, but who has seen the Toei Kanon. I wasn't that impressed with Toei's version (this is hardly my favorite genre anyways), but I think this remake is an excellent piece of work.