View Single Post
Old 2012-09-11, 15:23   Link #475
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
This really should have been two episodes.
I don't think you could really keep the same momentum and sense of flow if you split it up. I mean, basically the only way you could have done it is if you stretch it out like crazy so you made a cliffhanger in the first episode at the point that Kuradeel betrays them. Then, in the second episode, Kuradeel dies to end the first-half, and then you have 10 whole minutes to go from "my life is yours" to the ending (because ending on the marriage proposal is good form). The only way to fill that time is perhaps with the murder aftermath, but this breaks the flow and the impact of Kirito's words. The aftermath of the murder really doesn't matter because he's a villain and now he's dead -- what Kirito said and the change in their relationship is much more important in the grand scheme of things. I think it's a lot better, pacing wise, to make a passing reference to the murder at the beginning of the next episode as part of the transition to Kirito and Asuna moving to the 22nd floor, so they can continue moving forward with the more important issues.

So yeah, I don't think two episodes would have improved anything. If anything, I suppose adding a few extra minutes to the episode if they could might smooth over the transitions, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it will weigh that heavily, because obviously the main story is yet to come (we still have 15 episodes to go).