Thread: Crunchyroll Suzume no Tojimari
View Single Post
Old 2023-03-09, 12:31   Link #91
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

"Suzume" officially opened in Singapore today (March 9) with English and Chinese subtitles, and I was able to catch the first available screening at a cinema near my home. The novelty, of course, was no longer there on the second viewing, but on the other hand, I now have a better grasp of the plot development. I still feel that the movie started sagging in the third act, but I also now have a clearer idea of why the plot developed in that particular way.

As mentioned, there are by now multiple professional reviews available online. What's interesting to me is that there seems to be at least a couple of reviewers who feel that the writing in Suzume is stronger than it was in Shinkai's previous two efforts, with less reliance on mawkish sentimentality, and a better integration of themes and emotional beats with character and narrative flow.

So, there's really nothing new for me to add, in terms of a critical review. What I'll do instead is leave some thoughts on specific points in the show, and reflect on why some parts of Suzume resonated with me on a personal level.

All the following notes are huge spoilers, so I would recommend that you don't read them until you've watched the movie and formed your own conclusions about the story.

Spoiler for tributes and references:

Spoiler for closing doors and finding closure:

Spoiler for plot device relating to earthquakes and keystones:

Spoiler for why parts of the movie resonated with me:

Finally, one last note: I was given this complimentary booklet when I bought my Suzume ticket at the ufotable cinema in Tokushima.

Of course, it's all in Japanese. If there's anyone who wants to give a stab at translating it or, better yet, who already knows where to find an existing scanlation, let me know.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote