View Single Post
Old 2010-04-25, 20:12   Link #37
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
So that was him, right? I was wondering if there was something wrong with my ears today...
Yeah, it was a bit more high pitched than usual, but it certainly was him.

I know I already praised him last week, but this was the episode where Shinichiro Miki truly shined. His "Disappear from my sight!" scream in particular was extremely awesome. Just as intense and vicious as it needed to be. I remember back when the series first started I was somewhat hesitant about accepting him as Roy since his voice is so different from the first series' Toru Ohkawa, but he's definitely won me over by now.

Anyways, just watched the episode with subs and it might very well be my favorite in the series. Mostly everything was handled extremely well and even improved upon from the manga with the added flashbacks and lines. And the music placement was great, as it's been for quite a while now (that's definitely one of the aspects Brotherhood improved over the most as the series went on).

Roy's crisis was perfectly done. I'll never get tired of hearing "Fifth Laboratory", one of my favorite tracks in this for sure. I'm just a little disappointed that the poignant "Don't go where I can't follow!" Riza line from the manga's scanlation I have turned out to be more of a "Don't reduce yourself to this!" one instead. Other than that, it totally lived up to my expectations, which were rather high. Even Riza's seiyuu, which I find to be one of the less fitting voices in the show, didn't detract from my enjoyment of it.

As for Envy's final scene, his last ditch trolling attempts were certainly just as awesome as in the manga, but when it comes to the death itself I've got one minor complaint in that they made it a little TOO dramatic. As much as I love the character, I think the scene would've worked better with a more subtle BGM and his scream and him going "kono envi" over and over were a bit too much. But hey it still moved me and got the humiliation he was feeling across extremely well, so it certainly did its job. It's amazing how in that form and with that voice he can still emotionally hook the viewer. For me this scene is one of the most defining moments of FMA as a whole, in that it covers almost all of its major themes and really shows the truth about the entire humans vs homunculi conflict.

Oh and I really loved the flashback to some of Envy's previous lines in the series about humans, though I think their selection could've been a tad better. The "Cute and young form" line didn't really fit there and his "Don't look down on me, humans" lines to Ling and Marcoh should've made it instead. Regardless, great anime-only addition.

And after that amazing first half it normally would've been hard for the rest of the episode to follow up, but Alex's utter manliness sure did the job. Izumi's entrance was sweet too. And FINALLY the Hohenheim vs Father staredown! Been waiting a long time for that, though their decision to show it now instead of back in episode 51 is a fairly wise one.