View Single Post
Old 2011-11-30, 16:40   Link #244
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Terrible analogy.
Given that a few alterations made by you makes it all fit, I think it's rather harsh to call it a "terrible analogy".

I think you're being a bit one-sided here.

Sola's actions in the narrative are understandable, but Kayneth had reason to think that she's supportive of him and cares about him. If she never voices displeasure with the marriage arrangement how is he supposed to know any different, or view their fiance status as counting for nothing? And as even you admit, at least Kayneth genuinely loves her.

The point I'm making with my analogy is that it's fine to find fault in what causes a relationship to arise in the first place, but once a person in a relationship has reason to view it as a legit one, that does carry with it some significance, in my view.

If I felt that somebody else viewed me as a reliable acquaintance, friend, lover, confidant, etc... and if I go along with that person's view of me, then yeah, I'd feel some sense of obligation towards that other person. Even if we were brought together through some sort of coercion or artificial means. To me, this is just basic human decency, and it runs deeper than cultural considerations alone.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post

Also Sola wasn't cordial, she was criticizing him in a passive-aggressive way. Lancer had to defend him.
Her tone struck me as playful. A wife-to-be gently ribbing her husband-to-be, hoping that it'll get him to shape up a bit. You could find the same thing in numerous happy marriages.