View Single Post
Old 2011-11-30, 22:21   Link #252
LunarMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
That's why I don't judge Sola for what she did to Kayneth. She had her reason and excuses that are understandable. And that's also why I accept and understand that people would see her as cruel or unfaithful too. Each of us has their own value or view, so I think people will always view and interpret the scene differently, regardless of circumstances.
Everyone has their reasons and excuses for what they do, and I'm sure Caster's sound very rational in some deep, dark corner of his mind. The question is whether we're willing to excuse people for those excuses and motivations. If a father kills his daughter in order to retain her honor, or if someone practices some other form of misogyny or ethnic discrimination due to cultural difference, then are we supposed to remain indifferent to it simply because that person hails from a different cultural? When does cultural relativity end and human decency begin? You can totally argue that Sola is sympathetic, but bringing up cultural relativity will only go so far. Given, this is somewhat a response to the discussion in general, and not simply to Alaya.
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote