View Single Post
Old 2012-10-23, 12:39   Link #95
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
He is talking about the portrayal of lesbians in anime tho. In my opinion, those are just a poor reason to keep the girls celibate because the target audience would not stand their objects of adoration to be "just another guy's girl". I think this is what the Swede meant by "otaku pandering".
That's fair enough - the "Perfect Waifu" syndrome is pretty bad. Branching out further, there's the older-style yuri as characterized by Oniisama E. It's a lot better than some of the current version, but it's still nothing like the Western lesbian works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
As for the issue, I still stand by the opinion that it is still possible for a female character to kick ass, to be a loving wife and/or mother, and still be a strong and dignified character. My role model in that archetype, in fiction, is Sarah Connor. I can't think of an anime character that can stand the comparison to her.
I prefer Ellen Ripley since Sarah was a terrible mother . In anime, Balsa from Moribito compares very well. And if you take the mother part out, Youko from Twelve Kingdoms is pretty good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What about it's sort of Canadian equivalent La Femme Nikita which I always used to see advertised on TV as a kid? Anyone else even remember this, I'm not sure how far down into the states it made it? It was supposedly based on a French film about a delinquent that is forced to become one of France's top assassins and her struggles trying to escape the life of a professional killer. I recall it being pretty good actually and being focused on character drama and morality as opposed to straight up action, but I never really saw all that much of it.
There's also the Nikita TV show starring Maggie Q. It's arguably the best version of the story, and the third season just started.