View Single Post
Old 2011-07-28, 12:41   Link #2840
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I mostly bought Demonbane for the Lovecraftian aspects... the mecha parts actually bore me. The second half of D.E.M. Demonbane does read better (though the extended fight scenes can get tedious when they're just trading punches and yelling without advancing the storyline). As for the general story aspects, the character designs are pretty archetypal without much complexity (as well as the storyline if you strip off the Lovecraft layer). As for the non-heroine H... well, sex magic is just an intrinsic part of Lovecraft mythos (especially the gruesome bits).

The art complaints.... well yeah, I've seen better art but I took the "size of his manhood" to be subjective impressionism (*feels* huge to him and *looks* scary to his partner). Again, for $40 the game is a relatively cheap investment to legally check the VN scene out. I'd place the overall quality of art and story somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

And my main complaint about VNs continue... not enough decision points, something I've found true in almost every Japanese VN I've played. As the Bioware story flowcharts show (or any good D&D module), you can make the viewer *feel* like they are getting lots of input into the story even when they're being herded down relatively small plot conduits.

Just for context, I liked Utawarerumono (though the ending just pissed me off) and AIR. Shuffle! was passable. I've got a few more in the to-do queue

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-07-28 at 13:00.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote