View Single Post
Old 2011-03-01, 17:34   Link #22113
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
You don't get to be treated well if you kill someone. You don't get to be remembered for the good things you did if you kill someone.

The moment you pull that trigger, your very soul is escaping that chamber together with the bullet.

If you are asking me, or if Ryuukishi is asking the reader, to feel compassion for a cold blooded murderer and remember him at his best, I honestly find that very offensive.

Imagine you heard on the news that a memorial was held for a rapist, and heard everyone talk about how great he was. Wouldn't that disgust you?
I'm not gonna get into it because it's tremendously off topic, but I would say that it's on the childish side to let a single horrible act define a person entirely (though that person still needs to pay for their crimes).

Quote:
Really, Umineko comes down to "Truth is bad, escapism is good!" It's the polar opposite of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

It's just a bad, cowardly, disgusting message. Ryu is either a terrible writer who delivered the wrong message by accident, or he just chooses to focus on a theme that I find disgusting.
I'll go for the terrible writer angle because I'm apparently the only person in the world who didn't get this message.

Though to be fair, he's still a better writer than the FFTA guys. "HERP DERP FUCK YOU DONED YOU'RE GETTING BACK IN THE WHEELCHAIR."