View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 23:51   Link #654
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But what is less subjective is a basic description of a particular artistic style, and high animation quality.

"Brightly colored anatomically-correct moe done to top-notch animation" is pretty objective. If a show has that, people will be able to see it. It's mostly objective - A show either has this visual style or it doesn't.

My observation is that shows with this visual style have a considerable tendency to sell well. That observation still stands as far as I can see.
Honestly, you haven't stumbled upon the secret of anime success here. There are a lot of shows that fall into that category that don't sell well, and there are a lot of shows that do sell well but feature characters that aren't particularly anatomically-correct or whose animation isn't particularly top-notch. And when it comes down to it, all you're really saying is "shows that look good and use popular art-styles tend to sell better than shows that don't"... which isn't much of a revelation.

If there were a single combination of objective traits that tended towards repeatable success, the industry would have clued in long ago (considering it's their job to capitalize on such things). In fact, tastes are always changing and there are a ton of different factors that affect success. Because productions usually start almost a year before the first episode airs, it's a bit of a gamble to figure out what will be popular 12+ months down the road. Obviously looking good and being aware of market trends is part of the equation, but there's a lot more to it than that. I think any attempt to point to any one factor as the key will be easily thwarted.