Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-14, 02:35   Link #4336
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobachs View Post
So far I don't agree with anything Obama has in mind for our country. However, I also don't like it when foreign entities fool around with our business!
I generally do not like to get involved in political discussion online, but I found this statement to be too deliciously ironic not to make a brief comment. One of the reasons that foreign nations have not liked America in the past, is because they perceive the country to be too arrogant for stepping into other nations businesses. So, I find it ironic that a reason you dislike the award (or at least what you believe to be the basis for presenting the award to Obama) is the same reason many non-Americans have disliked America in the past.

That being said, not only would Obama (and America) look absolutely foolish for rejecting the award, but he would harm any credibility he has gained on the world stage (the extent of the harm is unknown). And for what? A few brownie points with conservative pundits and comentators (and said pundits and comentators would immedaitly forget the brownie points within a day or two).

The real question isn't should he reject the award, but what he should do with the money. A million dollar doanation to the right charity could be a wonderful PR move.