Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-04-27, 15:07   Link #6978
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well due to the fact that calling 911 requires you to leave an identification which might heap trouble upon you (like potential witness, death threats by the mugger, etc), many might not choose to call it.
Then you call from a pay phone or a local business instead of your cell phone so you can be anonymous. There's a difference between being a busybody and being a concerned citizen. Peeping into someone's house and calling the cops because he's naked? That's being a busybody. Guy on the street lying in a pool of blood? You fucking call 911.

I saw this new story yesterday on CNN, where some retarded psychologist tried to explain how society is so desensitized to violence because of games and movies that people don't know how to react when it happens in real life. Bull crap...it's just a lack of knowledge of what to do in fucked up situations. Did you know that one of the reasons why heart attacks are so fatal is because most bystanders don't know CPR? The survival rate for heart attack victims who receive CPR while paramedics are en route versus those who gawk is significant.

When people complain that people are sheep this is exactly one of the reasons why. Compassion doesn't mean you have to have a bleeding heart, just a helping hand. Helping an old lady across the street, for example. Just one kind act goes a long way.

And while I laughed at the wit in the monkeysphere article, I have to also laugh at how the author unintentionally writes it exactly as he portrays it; assuming that everyone is like the people he portrays. Sorry, not everyone is so uncaring. If I had seen that man on the street, I would have called 911 as soon as possible.

Sure, you have to be careful. Stopping to pick up hitchhikers and helping strangers who have "car trouble" is dangerous. It's not dangerous to make a call to professionals who are trained to handle those situations however. Being a good citizen doesn't mean you have to be a hero, you just have to use the phone to call 911 instead of taking a picture.

The best reason why...is that instead of some homeless guy, it could be you lying there bleeding after saving someone's life while people ignore you in your final moments. What if the homeless man had done nothing as well? There would be a dead woman lying there for an hour instead. At least his final act was a demonstration of how one worthless life saved another. It's just a shame that his own death could have been prevented by those worthless lives who walked right past. I bet at the very least, that woman is thankful.