View Single Post
Old 2013-01-06, 19:15   Link #2417
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Translation is also an inexact science, especially when translating from Japanese. Without getting into details, there is a lot about Japanese language that is either assumed, or subtly different depending on how you read it. I've been working on adding song subtitles to some of my Nanoha files (editing in song subtitles for "Take a Shot" "Snow Rain" "Brave Phoenix" and "Pray"), and I've noticed that sentences can be translated a few different ways. When I've had a couple different translations, I've had to go back and roughly translate the words to get a general sense of the phrase to understand which to use. And sometimes I make up my own phrase if I feel the 2 or 3 translations I have don't feel right.

So, I'm gonna wait until there are English translations, where a larger group of people can debate the meaning, rather than, say, rely on someone from Argentina to tell us what the spanish version says. More to the point, I'd rather have a native Japanese speaker explain things, if there points of contention.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote