View Single Post
Old 2006-05-24, 18:32   Link #1086
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89
What exactly is the difference between rewriting reality on a whim and controlling fate? There is no difference. Well, I can't think of any. Can you? Someone who can rewrite reality can make anything happen, have happened, or be right about to happen. How is that not controlling fate? If you want a specific example within the series, Haruhi caused a time traveler to appear around her. Because of this, she's written the entirety of human history up the point where time travel was invented, and then made someone from that era come back to this particular era and join her club. How is that not controlling fate?
Because the person him or herself in this case is NOT pre-determining his or her own actions. That is, the influence Haruhi has is external; not internal. Presumably she cannot rewrite herself to not do what she has done; or not be what she is now. Unless this "power" is given to Haruhi later in the series, then "rewriting reality" is much different from "controlling fate"...

But truly the philosophical issue is deeper than this, because in a truly deterministic picture no one and nothing can control fate.. It's abit hard to explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut89
On another note, I believe that Neo does have godlike abilities, it's just that the writers of the Matrix completely screwed up after the first movie. I mean, really, why is that he can stop bullets, fly, and reprogram agents, but do absolutely nothing else of significance? That's just stupid. He even has to fist-fight manually. It's like the writers realized they couldn't make interesting sequels based on what they did to him in the first movie, so they limited it to the specific random things they had shown him doing in the ending of the first movie. So random, so stupid.
They keyword is "godlike". Actually, the issue of Neo is much more complicated than can be explained easily, and I myself have limited knowledge of the Matrix. The main issue is that Neo can "BEND" the rules of the Matrix (that's why he has the ability to see the code of the matrix --- by seeing the 0s and the 1s at the end of the first movie), but he does NOT exist outside the rules of the matrix. That is, you don't see him teleporting materially within the matrix. He still has to run, walk, or when he flies, he has to traverse from point A to point B in a continuous fashion. He still obeys physical laws as a material entity in the matrix.

So, your assessment is basically wrong. You should probably read up on all the Matrix fansites and their analysis because I am quite ignorant about it.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote