View Single Post
Old 2012-04-08, 18:19   Link #556
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Except SAO completely abandons its characters in the multiple arcs, AW never does that. SAO's story is nothing new, it can be completely modeled by .hack (although both in its earliest form came out the same time).

AW actually makes use of the camera/big brother type technology and built upon that. In case of creativity AW far surpasses SAO.
Of course AW technology is something new (new-ish). It was built upon the origins of the VR technology in SAO when it was still in it's infancy stage. You are wrong when you say SAO completely abandons its characters. If you've read all of SAOs (including) ALO, GGO, etc. (you MUST read them since they are ALL interconnected) you see how the characters are used again and again to push the character interaction and plot-line development further on.

That's what drives and makes SAO interesting. It's not because of it's generic use of technology but because of the interaction the characters present and how they lived "inside" the MMO.

AW is using the old "tournament style" storyline wherein the MC fights "vs" mode against other players which IMO, is the MORE generic type of story-line (Yu yu hakusho, Flame of Recca and a LOT MORE). SAO on the other hand, offers the readers an insight on what real death-game MMO is supposed to be.

Although I admit I haven't read all of AW since they're not translated yet in B-T but from what I can deduce, SAO has more interesting characters, concept, story-line, and not to mention, the better MC.

P.S
Where are the side effects of overclocking the brain in AW anyway? The brain is such a complex system that tampering it without fully understanding how it works can only result in failure. That, by itself, is unrealistic to the extreme.