View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 21:19   Link #4
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

My perspective on collectibles is you're either all in or all out. I just don't see the point in one-off transactions.

If you're only ever going to sell one set of DVDs (or at least only one set in the next 10 years), then why sell at all? That money is likely to have no practical effect on your life over that time span.

If you're hard up enough where it does, than that's another story, though that probably speaks to larger issues than whether or not you should sell some DVDs.

If you're not a rabid collector/ebayer, then I think it's important to ask yourself what the price is on sentimentality. Sentimentality isn't for everyone, but if it is important to you, then prices on ebay or Amazon are meaningless.

Of course, I might simply not get it. I don't think I've ever sold a thing outside of big-money items like my previous cars. New-age hippies may say things do not define us (and a lot of claptrap about the evils of a material world), but I've found my possessions do define a large part of who I am. It's not that I horde things (I throw things out all the time), but I'm going to go ahead and sound possibly like a jerk and state it right out loud: I generally don't buy things with an intention to recoup my investment through a monetary refund.

On the flip side, if you are a rabid buy low, sell high type of collector/investor, who views all this as a mini-stock exchange/profit-making system, then you still probably shouldn't sell those DVDs unless you've got many other transactions going on, where the big picture profit has some real meaning and there's increased chances of profit via that infusion of cash, greater than that which comes from letting that item (and any others) sit and continue to accumulate value. You really don't come off as that type of person, though text can hide all sorts of things about a person.

These are, of course, just generalizations. I guess all I can really say is that only you can put a price on sentimentality, not amazon or ebay.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote