View Single Post
Old 2006-11-17, 11:07   Link #38
Retsoor

Fukuyama Jun is doing phenomenal work here, I'd punch myself for ever doubting him if I didn't like myself so much.

I honestly expected the flashback to show how Lelouch was independent and decisive even when so young and self-exiling himself to Japan, but they didn't go that route, and I'm happy about that. One more notch into a believable character there, he was only nine after all, and his father is intimidating. The speech Empie gave to him was very fine and further cements his position among my favourites.

It seems the Ashfords have been supporting Lelouch's mother and her family even before the tragedy, though they seem to have fallen out of favour, or been shamed / weakened severely. I wonder who Millay's future husband will be, Schnaizer seems too big a fish to draw into the story by having him marry into a weak family, but no doubt it will affect the story somehow. Maybe Millay's parents will oppose Ruben and try to curry favour with Empie by selling out Lelouch, especially if it seems likely that Lelouch will be incurring the wrath of the Empire on the Ashfords with his shenanigans.

Cornelia and Shirley got some development too. Cornelia is strict and merciless but she is also a fair woman. And hot. Shirley surprised me by falling in love with Lelouch not because of a kindness showed to her but to another, or impishness, whichever way you want to look at it.

Lelouch's final words set me thinking though. So he'll create his own army - the Black Knights - because his ambitions can't be realized by half-assed terrorists, but I believe he did say he would "create" his own country? Is that just a generalization of his followers or is he really trying to do this? Kudos to him if he does, he's more like his father than he'd like to admit after all. Too bad he's unlikely to have any sort of power base in Britannia due to his young age and supposed deceased state. I hope the title "Lelouch of the Rebellion" will have a more ... public meaning along the way, meaning he will unveil himself and rebel against his father openly.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote