Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-16, 04:25   Link #3016
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedec0 View Post

On personal level, I find Saki to be arrogant and overpowered a lot of the time. I want someone to, if not defeat her, then at least put her through hell in the finals. Awai is not capable of doing this (look how much she is struggling in the semi-finals). Someone who can wipe the floor with Awai, however, might just be the right power level for some serious Saki crushing, which is what I am hoping for from Shizuno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedec0 View Post

Yes, but it isn't intentional. Her +/-0 play style is inheritely arrogant. When a far superior player toys with an opponent (manipulating their score) instead of defeating them outright, that is arrogant, and Saki has done this a lot (though not out of malice).
I have to agree with eavein18 on this one.

The definition of arrogant is
-exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner
- showing an offensive attitude of superiority

To my knowledge, Saki has never displayed any of these traits. In fact, her characterization runs on the opposite direction. Heck, I could even say that Saki's major weakness is her ridiculously low self confidence and the fact that she overestimates her opponents.

As for the +/- zero thing, its more of a residual habit than anything else. She used this style since she was six, of course its going to be hard to shake of. Beside that, Saki doing +/- zero is never a display of arrogance. She doesn't think, "You're all so weak, I'm going to handicap myself to make this match semi-interesting." In fact, from the last chapter, her thought process could be summed up as, "My opponents are too strong, so I'll just aim for +/- zero."

I think the reason why you and perhaps many others find this arrogant is because +/- zero is essentially a handicap. If someone does that, she must be looking down on her opponents, yes? That is a very logical extrapolation. The problem with that and Saki's case is as Tsunade666 has succinctly summed up recently "Saki has a few screws loose in her head."

A careful reading between the line will show you that what Saki thinks and what the reality actually is has a vast difference. In fact regarding the +/-zero, I would be willing to bet that Saki never thought of it as a handicap. I would be even to go further and say that Saki thinks of +/-zero as nothing especial and anyone can do it as long as they work hard on it. And you can't really fault her for thinking that way.

On the subject of Saki being overpowered. I do agree that Saki is certainly more powerful than most and it would certainly be a problem if there would be no one to challenge her. But, I find that so far, Ritz-sensei hasn't let us down. On the major matches that Saki has participated so far, every one of them has been interesting.

And really, the person that you must compare to Saki is not Awai or Shizu. They might be her opponents for the final match but they aren't exactly her end goal. If Saki is ever going to have a rival in this tournament, its going to be the person that she wants to talk to in mahjong very badly. You know the other overpowered Miyanaga that is terrorizing everyone in the tournament for the past 3 years?
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote