View Single Post
Old 2007-05-12, 12:46   Link #319
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I really think that watching LOGH right before it might have been the problem. They probably require quite different frames of mind to enjoy, and from the couple of eps of LOGH I've been able to watch so far, have totally different strengths.

Once again, you continue to surprise (this is a compliment). I was surprised you liked LS at all, then I was surprised you didn't like ep5, which I thought was at least as good as any other episode, even if a bit different. That long silence waiting for Konata to speak was, in my opinion, excruciatingly good comedy.
Well with episode 5 I remember being halfway through and thinking "Uh Oh! This is not good, I should NOT have watched the LOGH first". I couldn't laugh after that, nobody could laugh after the arc I watched and it all came together in the end so well that anything afterward, let alone Lucky Star, would have pailed in comparsion. I should have gone to bed after that.

I give everything a chance though, even stuff I don't think I would normally like. The only way to learn new things (my goal in life) is to take chances by examining new ideas and stepping outside the realm of your usual tastes every now and then. If you don't like it, at least you've learned you don't. Only when I'm absolutely certain on something will I prejudge, but I'll always leave room open for me to change my mind and squeeze back into something (Like I've done with sola).

There's also good comedic timing (Bush has said something stupid and Jon Stewart stares dumbfounded and waits for the audience to finish laughing and applauding and then adds his comment) and then there's Kagami's (Also fairly good with the sweatdrop and confusion regarding the chibi Konata's bizarre behaviour), and then there were Konata's moments that seemed mistimed and I wasn't even sure why she was pausing.

The absolute biggest strike against the episode for me was the amount of potential (There are thousands of things you could do with the summer break theme) that were squandered and wasted elsewhere (The Yuri Jokes could have easily been done later on, and the gaming segments were far to short and lacked detail and humour. Barely any snarky comments from Konata either). The series managed to get more out of a ride on the train segment in an early episode, then it did during the entire summer break segment that was episode 5. It barely felt like anything special in the characters day to day lives was occuring and like I said, just wasted potential.