View Single Post
Old 2010-11-21, 23:35   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have to be frank - this anime's narrative is starting to seem a bit much to me.

I mean... my word... does Kyousuke have to help out Kirino with every single issue that she comes across in her life? He's practically babying her.

This could have been a very important point of maturation for Kirino. She would get to see some of the unpleasant realities when it comes to anime adaptations of manga or novel source material, and hence she would get to see that even the things you love in life can have a dark or displeasing side to them.

That's good.

It matures people.

It lets people know that not everything in life is stars and rainbows where you can bring deceased friends back from the dead as you can do in Stardust Witch Meruru.

I didn't agree with everything that Kuroneko stated in this episode, but I strongly agree with her on one point: Kirino needs to face a setback for a change. She needs to come out of a situation where she doesn't get everything she wants. When I saw her ideas get mostly shot down by the anime team she spoke with, I was actually relieved. I thought "Finally this girl is going to have to face some real adversity in life, and maybe she'll become a better person for it".

But no, Kyousuke to the rescue yet again...

I know that people argue that the SOS Brigade goes overboard to please Haruhi, but wow, even Koizumi isn't anything compared to Kyousuke here.

I will give this anime props for being very realistic and poignant about the processes involved in anime adaptations of mangas or novels. The partly new OP with the mechas flying everywhere for the 2nd half was a surprising change for me, and I kind of like it. I can also see where much of this episode would resonate with anime/manga/light novel fans, as it heavily touches upon the displeasure that many of us feel when an anime doesn't stick closely to its source material. No doubt that this is intended to make us cheer when Kirino's novel gets a more faithful adaptation.

Even so, I find it hard to cheer, for the other reasons I mentioned before.