View Single Post
Old 2007-10-07, 16:23   Link #3
Midonin
Last Engage

I was waiting for this, and I believe I'm ready.

Gurren-Lagann, like almost every other anime I've discovered, was first found out through TV Tropes. I saw the first five episodes, and, while the characters were being introduced, I wasn't quite feeling it yet. Cue episode 6. The Gurren-Dan acting as a unit, battles on a grand scale...I was hooked. Note that all this came in the form of a marathon that lasted up to Episode 15.

I will admit the show had a few slower moments, such as episodes 9-10, and 17-20, but I believe that if an episode's there, it's there for a reason. They did help to set things up, and I appreciate them for doing so. I was satisfied with the finale, even if it did spring a bit of controversy.

The characters were great. I was a Kamina fan from the beginning ("Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!"), and for his and Simon's final battle, I was cheering. Standing up in my seat and cheering. Something very few anime have made me do. Gurren-Lagann's action never fails to disappoint, and I don't think I'll see mecha this impressive again. Or this large.

The music was very nice ("happily ever after" and "Ro! Ro! Fight the Powa!" are the best, of course), and the story carried through. There were moments where I cried, moments where I smiled, moments where I cheered and moments where I laughed. An emotional rollercoaster that just gets to you.

So, overall, my gut says to give it a 10. The formation of CGGL, Simon's reunion and subsequent gathering of his nakama, and the TTGL group sound off sealed the deal. Now, I can't wait for the DVDs to get here.

Who do you think I am?